Sunday, February 22, 2009

For the Love of Money

"Those who love money will never have enough. How absurd to think that wealth brings true happiness!" ~ Ecclesiastes 5:10

I'm experiencing a transition period in my life. Should I continue to work for my dad or should I find a new job? I'm very grateful to have a job during these tough economic times, but you can't put a price on a peace of mind. It all comes down to I'm not happy in my situation.

My father is a wealthy man, but his money isn't my money, nor do I want his money. I want to do things on my own without the help of my parents. It's tough being a single mother, but I've sacrificed my own ambitions for the past four years to help build my dad's company.

Now I want to focus on what makes ME happy. My job doesn't provide any fulfillment or challenge to my daily routine. It's all repetitive and to be quite frank, I haven't been the best employee due to my lack of enthusiasm toward my job.

It's not about the money. My financial situation is pretty stable, it's about my goals, dreams, aspirations in life, and how I want to achieve them on my own.

There are a few other issues that contribute to my decision to want to quit my job and try something new, but for the most part, this is the reason why. The money has kept me there this long, but now it isn't enough.

We all come to a fork in the road, and we all have to make a decision. Whether this is the best decision for me or not financially doesn't matter to me at this moment. This is the best decision for to venture out and try something new. To take a risk and see if I succeed at it.

This is apart of my transisiton process in this new phase of my life. I feel as if I'm shedding my old skin. I'm sure many of you can relate.

Have a wonderful Sunday!

1 comment:

  1. Here's my advice on that. I started about a year ago feeling the same way you feel now at my old job. I loved the people I worked with, but the job itself didn't fulfill me at all. Anyway, I started praying then, every night that God would open the doors for me to try something new in the accounting field. I had an idea of what I wanted to do, but I wasn't sure how to get there. I started by getting my resume ready, and working with my career counselor at school. All the while still praying daily for God's will. I was willing to stay at my old job if that's where he wanted me to be, but I was still going to apply for jobs and see if anything came available that I felt peaceful about. I felt lead to tell my manager what I was thinking because I didn't want him to think I was just going to up and leave since my job was very important to the company. I prepared him months in advance for something that may or may not happen. I continued to pray every day. I was discontent with my job but I wanted to leave for the right reasons and not necessarily for money ( the wrong reason ). Anyway, by the time my job that I have now came available I had gotten everything done that I needed to do to prepare for my transition. When I found out I got my job, I still continued to pray. My prayer was that if taking the job was God's will, then he would allow me to leave my old place of employment on good terms since I loved the people there so much. It was the best thing I did to put my decision in God's hands. I left my old company on GREAT terms and still see my old co workers every few weeks for lunch or Bible study. And I was able to take my new job and feel good about what I had done and not overly anxious about making a wrong decision. I hope it all works out for you. :) :)

    ReplyDelete