Thursday, January 22, 2009

Lead by Example

I'm sure you've all heard President Obama signed orders to close Guantanomo Bay within a year.

Here's his statement on the reason why:

"The message that we are sending the world is that the United States intends to prosecute the ongoing struggle against violence and terrorism and we are going to do so vigilantly and we are going to do so effectively and we are going to do so in a manner that is consistent with our values and our ideals."

He not only is doing what he said he was going to do, but he's making a conscious effort to lead by example.

We're fighting a war on terrorism, but we've set up shop in Cuba to torture people off American soil and embassies, so we can't be punished or deemed inhumane ourselves. You don't fight violence with violence. This is a great step towards the right direction to lead by example. Not a do what we say, not as we do, ordeal.

It starts with one person. I'd like to thank my ex-boyfriend for giving me the extra push to further educate myself on politics. I'm still learning, but he opened my eyes to many things and for that, I'm grateful. ;-)

I've been completely absorbed by a particular individual's blogspot http://www.deathbeforedhimmi.com/ He's very opinionated, very educated on politics and history, and says some extremely offensive statements. Check it out and let me know what you think. He's a great debater. I've got mad respect for his ability to stick-up for what he feels is right, and for openly voicing his opinion. But as of now, I agree to disagree with him on most of his political views.

1 comment:

  1. My concern with Gitmo is the need to know what we do now with all of these people who want to kill us. But I firmly believe that the one thing that makes America the greatest nation in the world is the citizens' rights and ability to kindly disagree with and peacefully protest their leaders. And though we may not all agree on certain political issues we can all still be friends because we all believe in America.

    But we will not ever have the ability to peacefully defend ourselves against Fundamental Islam and it's cause to destroy us. An important thing to note is that Islam is a form of government implemented through the practice of a religion. It is the jihadist's goal to fight all unbelievers until they acknowledge Allah as the one true god and convert their laws to those that are put forth in the Qur'an, Hadith and Sira. They are taught to do whatever it takes to subjugate unbelievers to the laws of Islam, and to think that we will stop them without fighting in return is a lovely thought, but I'm afraid I find it a bit unrealistic.

    Nice blog though, Michelle. I'm glad to have you to debate!

    ReplyDelete