Monday, February 9, 2009

Gotta start somewhere, gotta start sometime.

"When the Spirit of Truth comes, He will guide you into all the Truth."
John 16:13


Whether you like it or not, you're a role model. Everyone watches your actions, especially children, if you have any. To a certain degree, you're obliged to act in alignment with truth and faith.

The past few weeks, I've looked at myself and wondered "what kind of example am I to others?" I believe I'm a genuine person, but I've made my fair share of mistakes.

I look at my son, and think, I should be the most positive influence in his life. I should be the best model, I can be, for him.

I have my bad days, my good days, and everything in between and I don't always react to situations in the most kindest way. I don't react with the nicest things to say and sometimes it's difficult for me to "walk away" or "let it go", especially when it concerns something I'm passionate towards. This is a trait I don't like about myself, and I'm learning how to overcome it.

I've made a promise to myself this weekend, to resist temptation of every form. I believe it'll help discipline myself and I can learn to control certain situations I encounter and how they affect me.

"In everything you do, stay away from complaining and arguing, so that no one can speak a word of blame against you. You are to live clean, innocent lives as children of God in a dark world full of crooked and perverse people. Let your lives shine brightly before them."
Philippians 2:14-15


How true is that verse? The difficult part about Truth is it requires you to change your perspective, attitude, and ways of life.

This is what's wrong with the world, today. People are selfish and commit selfish acts to hide their true nature/character. They lie to protect a flawed character. They know they wouldn't get a promotion, if they didn't stab another person in the back. They'd lose their relationship, if they revealed their infidelity. They'd lost their friends, if they knew what they said about them behind their backs. People do selfish acts for personal gain. But all of this can/would be reversed if everyone lived in the way and the light of truth.

Learning about God's truth is one thing, but actually living it to become a permanent part of our character is another. I've sat on the sidelines observing for quite sometime now, but I'm not satisfied being the cheerleader, I want to live it.

For the past few weeks, I've consciously worked on improving myself because I'm tired of being angry, getting angry, or staying angry. There are a few individuals in my life that know exactly which buttons to push to make me angry and sometimes I think they do it for their own amusement. I grew angry Friday night after bickering with a friend off and on all day. Then I reached my boiling point and said something I shouldn't have said. It's not healthy for me or anyone. It's a waste of perfectly good energy.

I regressed, but with every set back, rises an opportunity to excel. I'm using my regression to become stronger and more disciplined. A good leader and role model should live a life of discipline, and it starts with yourself.

This week is the beginning of a new phase in my life. My devotion is to myself and to my son. My way of life is lead by truth. Everything else I desire will fall into place naturally. Stay tuned...

No comments:

Post a Comment